Re: Pervasive PostgreSQL Announcement - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Pervasive PostgreSQL Announcement
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Bruce,

> In fact we registered PostgreSQL only to prevent someone else from
> registering it and blocking the community from using it.  We want others
> to use it for their products so if our registering it prevented you from
> using it, that is a shame and is not what we intended, in fact the
> opposite.  We registered it so you would be safe to use it.
>
> Can someone explain how this is to be handled?  I don't think the
> trademark laws really encourage someone to trademark something so others
> can use it and we should figure out a plan.

Well, one obvious possibility is, once we get the Foundation approved by the
IRS, to transfer ownership of the trademark to the Foundation.   Then the
Foundation can offer the trademark under a public license that explicitly
gives permission to anyone to use it who is "using it properly", that is for
a distribution of the PostgreSQL code.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus