Re: Pervasive PostgreSQL Announcement - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Pervasive PostgreSQL Announcement
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
> I'm not even so much worried about Pervasive claiming a trademark on a name
> that is generally considered some kind of "community property", whatever that
> means.  What I'm puzzled about is that you are clearly aware that
> "PostgreSQL" is a registered trademark, and that you try to sidestep that
> problem by calling your product "Postgres".  Everyone who is even slightly
> familiar with trademark regulations knows that that doesn't work.  At the
> same time you are undermining our eternal effort to teach people the correct
> name of our product.  So that leaves me to believe either (a) the legal
> department of Pervasive is incompetent, or (b) the marketing department of
> Pervasive is incompetent, or (c) you are trying to get away with something,
> or (d) you are trying to lay claim on the name "PostgreSQL" through the
> backdoor.  Please educate us.

Or perhaps, they are just protecting their collective business
interests. I seriously doubt that Pervasive has any level of ulterior
motive here. They are a business, they want to make money.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
Command Prompt, Inc., your source for PostgreSQL replication,
professional support, programming, managed services, shared

Attachment