Re: Pervasive PostgreSQL Announcement - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Pervasive PostgreSQL Announcement
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 11:39:49AM -0600, Lance Obermeyer wrote:

> legal liability of unknowable scale.  There are public posts in the
> advocacy group essentially pledging to not try and enforce the
> trademark against groups like Pervasive.  Those posts are legally
> unpersuasive.  There are others using the trademark presumably

Not to mention legally dangerous -- just aske the makers of Aspirin.
I mean "Bayer Aspirin"; they lost their trademark because of
non-enforcement.

> trademark).  My suggestion, whether you accept it or not, is to
> formally resolve this before the next guy that is trying to be on
> the right side of the community and the law shows up.

I think this is an excellent suggestion.  (And by the way, your
public interest in PostgreSQL is welcomed, at least by me.)

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
I remember when computers were frustrating because they *did* exactly what
you told them to.  That actually seems sort of quaint now.
        --J.D. Baldwin