Re: Trigger Question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Terry Lee Tucker
Subject Re: Trigger Question
Date
Re: Trigger Question  (Alex Turner <armtuk@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
1) INSERT INTO logs (carr_code, ..., ..., ...)  VALUES('ABCDEFG', ..., ...);
    logs is table A in my question

2) logs_insert fires (This is a AFTER INSERT trigger)

3) in this trigger, I need to do the following:
    update avlds set carr_code = new.carr_code where avlds.recid = ??;
    avlds is table B in my question
    The questions marks indicate the first piece of data that I want to
dynamically pass to the trigger.

4) in the same trigger:
    update tract set order_num = avlds.order_num where tract.recid = ??;
    tract is table C in my question
    The question marks refer to the second piece of data that I want to pass
dynamically into the trigger.

In other terms, when the user creates a logs record that assigns a truck to a
load, I need to update specific rows in two other tables, avlds, and tract. I
was wanting to do this from the trigger level, but I will need the unique
serial key of each of the existing records in avlds and tract. These two keys
comprise the "dynamic" part of the question. I was just wondering if there is
some way of passing dynamic data into a trigger. I don't believe there is,
but I thought I would ask.

Thanks for the input.
 Work: 1-336-372-6812
 Cell: 1-336-363-4719