Re: Function Parameters - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: Function Parameters
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, Jan 02, 2005 at 01:31:22AM +0000, Oluwatope Akinniyi wrote:

> I tried to create a function with about 60 input parameters and got an
> error message that a function cannot take more than 32 parameters.

What's the function's purpose?  Why does it need so many arguments?
You might be able to get around the limitation with a composite
type, but maybe there's a different way to do what you want.

Another possibility would be to rebuild PostgreSQL and change the
limit.  I don't know what the implications are other than what the
comment in the code says: "There is no specific upper limit, although
large values will waste system-table space and processing time" and
"Changing these requires an initdb."

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/