Re: how much ram do i give postgres? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: how much ram do i give postgres?
Date
List pgsql-general
Josh Close <narshe@gmail.com> writes:
> I know this is kinda a debate, but how much ram do I give postgres?
> I've seen many places say around 10-15% or some say 25%....... If all
> this server is doing is running postgres, why can't I give it 75%+?
> Should the limit be as much as possible as long as the server doesn't
> use any swap?

The short answer is no; the sweet spot for shared_buffers is usually on
the order of 10000 buffers, and trying to go for "75% of RAM" isn't
going to do anything except hurt.  For the long answer see the
pgsql-performance list archives.

            regards, tom lane