Re: postmaster logs - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Giles Lean
Subject Re: postmaster logs
Date
List pgsql-general
> I would like to direst the postmaster log output to a file.  At the
> same time, because it will grow indefinitely I would like to be able
> to rotate the log using newsyslog (as I do for other daemons).
>
> Is there a mechanism for doing this?

There was discussion of this recently, with some degree of consensus
for the introduction of a (possibly optional) logging program.  The
Apache "rotatelogs" program was offered, but some of us didn't find it
quite paranoid enough about error handling (filesystem full, file
table full, etc).

I'm writing a more careful version of rotatelogs and intend that it
also be capable of being controlled by newsyslog.  When it's done I'll
offer it for inclusion, probably by posting it to -patches since it
will be small.

Real Soon Now, but no promises of a date.  As ever Real Life places
demands from time to time that must be accomodated. :-)

Regards,

Giles