Re: Query returns 0 for subsequent columns - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Keith Worthington
Subject Re: Query returns 0 for subsequent columns
Date
List pgsql-novice
Replying to myself in the hopes that this will help someone else.

It turns out my JOIN condition was what was causing a problem.

I changed the following
   AS purchases USING (item_id)
   AS purchases ON (items.id = purchases.item_id)
and
   AS stock USING (item_id)
   AS stock ON (items.id = stock.item_id)
and the query started to return the desired results.

I can see that the ON clause is a much clearer specification but I do not
understand 1) Why the original USING clause didn't generate an error since
item_id wasn't available in items and 2) Why giving the committed section a
value suddenly caused the other values to be returned.

Keith