Re: Performance suggestions? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: Performance suggestions?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 10:22:31 +1100,
  "Harvey, Allan AC" <HarveyA@OneSteel.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm after suggestions on how to keep the initial performance
> of a system I've put together for longer than 2 minutes.
>
> I have a small table about 20 rows, a constant, that is receiving
> about 160 updates per second.
> The table is used to share gathered data to other process asynchronously.
> After 5 min it is 12 updates per second.
> Performance returns after a vacuum analyse.

You should vacuum that table after a very short period of time. From your
description, I would guess that you want to vacuum it at least once a
minute, probably more often if the vacuum itself doesn't slow things
down too much.