Re: SQUID Log in PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: SQUID Log in PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 11:09:30PM +0530, Vishal Kashyap @ [SaiHertz] wrote:

> Is their any plugin or work around that would allow me to log Squid
> jobs into PostgreSQL ?

This is more of a Squid issue than a PostgreSQL issue.  I think
people have proposed sending Squid logs to MySQL, so I'd suggest
googling to see if any such projects have gotten anywhere.  Try
asking on the Squid mailing lists if you haven't already.

A somewhat precarious mechanism would be to configure Squid to log
to a FIFO and have a script reading the FIFO and inserting records
into a database.  I've done this in simple tests but I don't know
if it's viable on a busy Squid server.  If you want to explore this
possibility, be sure to do thorough testing, especially for cases
where one side or the other closes its side of the FIFO.

If you can live with limited information being logged, then you
could configure redirect_program to use a program that logs to a
database.  Look through squid.conf to see if any other directives
can be (ab)used this way.

If you have any C programming skills then you could hack the Squid
code yourself.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/