Re: Config review - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Config review
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 10:07:54AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> If you are using a RAID configuration it might just be that you need
> to adjust the configuration (IIRC, there are some RAID setups that
> are not very write-friendly).  Otherwise you may have little alternative
> but to buy faster disks.

It might be that altering the Clariion array from RAID 5 to RAID 1+0
would make a difference; but I'd be very surprised to learn that you
could get that array to go a whole lot faster.

One thing that might also be worth investigating is whether
performance actually goes up by moveing the WAL into the array.
We've had some remarkably good experiences with our recently-acquired
EMC.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
When my information changes, I alter my conclusions.  What do you do sir?
        --attr. John Maynard Keynes