Re: DBD::PgSPI 0.02 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: DBD::PgSPI 0.02
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 02:10:07AM -0500, alex@pilosoft.com wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Dec 2004, Michael Fuhr wrote:

> > Why should the module need the PostgreSQL source code?  It builds
> > fine using the headers under the PostgreSQL install directory (e.g.,
> > /usr/local/pgsql/include), at least with 8.0.0rc1.
>
> I don't think the headers I need (postgres.h funcapi.h) are installed in a
> normal install. At least they aren't on my machine. Intrinsically, this
> module needs to know a little bit more about pgsql internals (such as
> TupleDesc definition) than just something that uses libpq...
>
> If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Those are probably the server-side development headers that 7.x
and early 8.0 betas didn't install by default -- you had to run
"gmake install-all-headers".  In 8.0 all headers are now installed
with "gmake install".

People installing PostgreSQL using pre-built packages will probably
have to install an additional package with a name like postgresql-devel
to get the additional headers.  That's normal for doing PostgreSQL
server-side development.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/