Re: SSL confirmation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Atkins
Subject Re: SSL confirmation
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, Dec 05, 2004 at 11:27:57AM -0700, Michael Fuhr wrote:

> Right -- see the "Frontend/Backend Protocol" chapter in the
> documentation, in particular the "SSL Session Encryption" section:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/protocol-flow.html#AEN52782
>
> You can use psql to check if SSL is working.  Psql prints a message
> like the following if SSL was successfully negotiated:
>
> SSL connection (cipher: DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA, bits: 256)

I tend to fire up ethereal and look at the data stream to make absolutely
sure that my app is doing SSL to postgresql. I've been burnt once or
twice by the libpq my app uses not negotiating SSL correctly while
the version of libpq that psql uses being just fine (dumb build problems
on my part, but I'd probably have missed them without the sanity check
of sniffing the connection).

Cheers,
  Steve