Re: OK, ready for RC1 or Beta6 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: OK, ready for RC1 or Beta6
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> OK, where are we in the release process?  We still have a few open
>> items, but those can be moved to the TODO list.  Do we do RC1 or
>> Beta6?
>
> Considering all the patching that has been going on recently and the
> fact that we don't have any port reports, I think it's too early for a
> "release candidate".  I think we should release beta 6 immediately,
> call for port reports based on it, and then release RC1 as soon as we
> have an idea where the port reports are going, possibly in less than
> one week.

If we are only concerned with Port related bug reports, and nothing that
should require an initdb, I'd be okay with an RC1 ... it would indicate to
everyone that we've finally locked down the code, and are only dealing
with critical bug reports and documentation ...

Thing is, I think we'd get more serious testing once we do say the code is
locked in "Release Mode", then if we release yet another beta ..

----