Re: [PERFORM] pg_restore taking 4 hours! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: [PERFORM] pg_restore taking 4 hours!
Date
List pgsql-general
Rodrigo,

> Our machine it's a Dell Server Power Edge 1600sc (Xeon 2,4Ghz, with 1GB
> memory, 7200 RPM disk). I don't think that there is a machine problem
> because it's a server dedicated for the database and the cpu utilization
> during the restore is around 30%.

In addition to Tom and Shridhar's advice, a single IDE disk is simply going to
make restores slow.   A 500MB data file copy on that disk, straight, would
take up to 15 min.   If this is for your ISV application, you need to
seriously re-think your hardware strategy; spending less on processors and
more on disks would be wise.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus