Re: "Stretchy" vs. Fixed-width - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: "Stretchy" vs. Fixed-width
Date
Re: "Stretchy" vs. Fixed-width  ("Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org>)
Re: "Stretchy" vs. Fixed-width  ("Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg@turnstep.com>)
List pgsql-www
Josh, Robert, people:

> >Whether you "like" it is opinion (highly dependent on the proximity of
> > your browser settings to those of the designer in the fixed widht world).
> Ahh your second point is still very much an opinion. It doesn't
> matter how much you state it as a fact, it is still an opinion.

Can we kill this now?    We're none of us so rich in free time that flames are
necessary.

From what I can tell, Fixed-width vs. Variable-width is a *tradeoff*, and you
gain and lose things either way.    Let me sum up the pros for each:

Fixed-Width
    -- Supports more polished designs
    -- More "corporate"
    -- supports better visual organization of navigation
    -- better for websites with many images
    -- cuts down on scrolling
    -- emphasizes design

Variable-Width
    -- Supports a greater variety of browser/language settings
    -- More "open source"
    -- better for large quantities of text content
    -- emphasizes content

Do people agree with the above points?

--
Josh Berkus