Re: MAX/MIN optimization via rewrite (plus query - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: MAX/MIN optimization via rewrite (plus query
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 09:29:14 +0000, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 22:48, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> > Planning for future note: I would like whatever mechanism that is added
> > for this MAX/MIN stuff to be amenable to more subtle things like
> > aggregate navigation (see R.Kimball's article
> > http://www.dbmsmag.com/9608d54.html).
> >

> With you on that one...

I disaggree. What that author is suggesting is orthogonal to what is being
proposed by Mark. That article is really suggesting a varient of materialized
views where you can use the normal aggregate notation instead of having
to use a special column name to get access to an aggregate in the
materialized view.