Re: cygwin build failure - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: cygwin build failure
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Reini Urban wrote:

> >>  >Info: resolving _optarg by linking to __imp__optarg (auto-import)
> >>  >Info: resolving _optind by linking to __imp__optind (auto-import)
> >

> > ok, i'm sure now.
> > there's no way to ignore those diagnostics on the ld side.
>

> It's a minor annoyance at worst. Not worth spending effort on.  The
> issue in these lines is the important one:
>
> ccache gcc -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wendif-labels -fno-strict-aliasing -g pg_dump.o common.o
pg_dump_sort.opg_backup_archiver.o pg_backup_db.o pg_backup_custom.o pg_backup_files.o pg_backup_null.o pg_backup_tar.o
dumputils.o ../../../src/backend/parser/keywords.o -L../../../src/interfaces/libpq -lpq -L../../../src/port
-L/usr/local/lib -lpgport -lz -lreadline -lcrypt -o pg_dump.exe

> ../../../src/port/libpgport.a(pgstrcasecmp.o)(.text+0x1b0): In function `pg_tolower':
> /home/adunstan/pgbf/root/HEAD/pgsql.4040/src/port/pgstrcasecmp.c:119: multiple definition of `_pg_tolower'
> ../../../src/interfaces/libpq/libpq.a(dqgds00145.o)(.text+0x0): first defined here

Agreed.  What could be the solution?  I know it is caused by calling
pg_strcasecmp in exec.c.

I think I see it now.  I added this to pg_dump/Makefile:# Not sure why MinGW needs this but it prevents a link failure#
ofduplicate definitions for pg_tolower().  2004-10-06ifeq ($(PORTNAME), win32)EXTRA_OBJS +=
$(top_builddir)/src/port/exec.oendif

Now, the big question is if you remove this from the Makefile, does
Cygwin compile OK, and if not, why does that fail?  I am thinking we
need to run ranlib on Cygwin to fix this properly.  My BSD ranlib manual
page has:

      ranlib [-v|-V] archive

DESCRIPTION      ranlib  generates  an index to the contents of an archive,      and stores it in the archive.  The
indexlists each symbol      defined  by  a  member of an archive that is a relocatable      object file.

      An archive with such an index speeds up linking to the li-      brary,  and  allows  routines  in the library to
calleach      other without regard to their placement in the archive.

      The GNU ranlib program is another form of GNU ar;  running      ranlib is completely equivalent to executing `ar
-s'.

Pennsylvania19073