Re: Restricting Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Matthew Nuzum
Subject Re: Restricting Postgres
Date
List pgsql-performance
Matt - Very interesting information about squid effectiveness, thanks.

Martin,
You mean your site had no images? No CSS files? No JavaScript files? Nearly
everything is dynamic?

I've found that our CMS spends more time sending a 23KB image to a dial up
user than it does generating and serving dynamic content.

This means that if you have a "light" squid process who caches and serves
your images and static content from it's cache then your apache processes
can truly focus on only the dynamic data.

Case in point: A first time visitor hits your home page.  A dynamic page is
generated (in about 1 second) and served (taking 2 more seconds) which
contains links to 20 additional files (images, styles and etc). Then
expensive apache processes are used to serve each of those 20 files, which
takes an additional 14 seconds.  Your precious application server processes
have now spent 14 seconds serving stuff that could have been served by an
upstream cache.

I am all for using upstream caches and SSL accelerators to take the load off
of application servers.  My apache children often take 16 or 20MB of RAM
each.  Why spend all of that on a 1.3KB image?

Just food for thought.  There are people who use proxying in apache to
redirect expensive tasks to other servers that are dedicated to just one
heavy challenge.  In that case you likely do have 99% dynamic content.

Matthew Nuzum        | Makers of "Elite Content Management System"
www.followers.net        | View samples of Elite CMS in action
matt@followers.net    | http://www.followers.net/portfolio/