Re: The reasoning behind having several features outside - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: The reasoning behind having several features outside
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 nd02tsk@student.hig.se wrote:

> Jeff Davis wrote:
>
>> Other people have answered, but I'd like to add:
>>
>> It makes it much faster to fix bugs and improve features in the projects
>> outside of the source tree. If replication has a bug, you don't want to
>> wait for the next point release, you want a fix *now*. PostgreSQL is a
>> big project, and can't make new point releases every time a bug appears
>> in a small subsystem.
>
> Replication is one subsystem not included in source tree. But PostgreSQL
> has other subsystems that are included such as plugins for procedural
> languages. So isn't the same risks involved with them?

Yes, which is why you will find that several of them are 'outside
projects' for development purposes ... in fact, if you looked back at the
earlier 7.x series, you will find that they had more interfaces then the
current code does ... alot has been moved out over the years.  libpq++ is
a prime example of something that had official status for the longest
time, but where someone came along and wrote a 'better' version of it,
which is now on gborg ...

----