curious delay on view/where - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Gary Stainburn
Subject curious delay on view/where
Date
Re: curious delay on view/where
List pgsql-sql
Hi folks.

I have the following view:

CREATE VIEW "stock_available" as  SELECT * FROM stock_details  WHERE available = true AND visible = true AND location
notin (SELECT descr FROM ignored);

Stock_details is itself a view pulling in a number of tables. Everything
works fine until I try to pull in only the details for a specific
branch, using the following.

select * from stock_available where branch = 'Leeds';
or
select * from stock_available where branch = 'Doncaster';

At this point, the query takes 11 seconds. Any other quiery, including

select * from stock_available where branch != 'Doncaster'
and
select * from stock_available where branch != 'Leeds'

which only return the equivelent of the top two (we only have Leeds and
Doncaster) are les than  1 second.

Anyone got any ideas of the cause, or thoughts on how I can trace the
problem?

--
Gary Stainburn