Re: Error restoring bytea from dump - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: Error restoring bytea from dump
Date
Re: Error restoring bytea from dump  (Együd Csaba (Freemail) <csegyud@freemail.hu>)
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 08:51:31PM +0200, Egy�d Csaba wrote:

> the restoration of a dump stops at the line above.

What line above?  Are you referring to "Error restoring bytea" in
the subject header?  Is that the *exact* error message?

> The dump was created with pgsql 7.3.2 and I need to pump it into
> a 7.4.3 one. Should anybody tell me what the problem can be and how
> I can solve it.

Have extraneous newlines and/or carriage returns made it into the
dump?  That might result in "invalid input syntax for type bytea",
which isn't the exact error you mentioned but might be what you
meant.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/sql-syntax.html#SQL-SYNTAX-STRINGS
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/datatype-binary.html

--