Re: The reasoning behind having several features outside of source? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: The reasoning behind having several features outside of source?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 08:19:20PM +0200, nd02tsk@student.hig.se wrote:
> Hello
>
> Why is it that PostgreSQL chooses to have features like replication,
> fulltext indexing and GIS maintained by others outside of the sourcetree?

I can tell you for sure that the replication systems are aimed at
different ends, so having more than one of them is a strength.  Also,
you can use the replication systems to upgrade from one version of
PostgreSQL to another (e.g. 7.1 to 7.2 or 7.3 to 8.0).  Which source
tree do you think the project should live in to accommodate that
functionality?

More generally, this question has been bandied about here several
times over the past year.  Have a look in the archives.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
The fact that technology doesn't work is no bar to success in the marketplace.
        --Philip Greenspun