Re: Invalid page header - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ed L.
Subject Re: Invalid page header
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wednesday October 20 2004 10:43, Ed L. wrote:
> On Wednesday October 20 2004 10:12, Ed L. wrote:
> > >
> > > Why simulate it, when you can just turn it on?  But anyway, the
> > > answer is "the whole page".
> >
> > Old 7.3.4 installation, didn't realize that feature was there.  Thx.
>
> That worked for 3 of 4 cases, but for a fourth, I see the message that
> it's zeroing the page, but then it continues to report invalid page
> header for that block...  maybe the header is too fouled up to fix?

I didn't notice zero_damaged_pages because it doesn't show up by default in
the postgresql.conf file, I guess wisely since it is somewhat dangerous to
the forensic evidence.

I fixed the case that zero_damaged_pages didn't by truncating the file at
the precise byte offset reported by pg_filedump for the bad block via
'pg_filedump -if -R ...'

Ed