Re: mmap (was First set of OSDL Shared Mem scalability results, some wierdness ... - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mark Wong
Subject Re: mmap (was First set of OSDL Shared Mem scalability results, some wierdness ...
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 09:22:03PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Mark Wong <markw@osdl.org> writes:
> > > I know where the do_sigaction is coming from in this particular case.
> > > Manfred Spraul tracked it to a pair of pgsignal calls in libpq.
> > > Commenting out those two calls out virtually eliminates do_sigaction from
> > > the kernel profile for this workload.
> >
> > Hmm, I suppose those are the ones associated with suppressing SIGPIPE
> > during send().  It looks to me like those should go away in 8.0 if you
> > have compiled with ENABLE_THREAD_SAFETY ... exactly how is PG being
> > built in the current round of tests?
>
> Yes, those calls are gone in 8.0 with --enable-thread-safety and were
> added specifically because of Manfred's reports.

Ok, I had the build commands changed for installing PostgreSQL in STP.
The do_sigaction call isn't at the top of the profile anymore, here's
a reference for those who are interested; it should have the same test
parameters as the one Tom referenced a little earlier:
    http://khack.osdl.org/stp/298230/

Mark