Re: cast pid_t to int when using *printf - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: cast pid_t to int when using *printf
Date
List pgsql-patches
Oliver Jowett wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> >>I don't think there is an escape for pid_t, you always have to cast it.
> >

> > I think what he was asking is this:  Since pid_t has to be a signed integer
> > type, but gcc does not accept %d for it, then it could be that pid_t is wider
> > than an int, so casting it to int would potentially lose information.
>
> pid_t on the Solaris/sparc system is a long (but both int and long are
> 32 bits). Some experimentation shows that gcc is happy with a %ld format
> specifier. But compiling the same code on a Linux/x86 system makes gcc
> complain when applying %ld to pid_t, so we will need a cast there either
> way.
>
> I notice that elog.c casts MyProcPid to long and uses %ld. Amusingly,
> MyProcPid is explicitly an int..

I see in include/sys/types.h on Solaris 9:

    #if defined(_LP64) || defined(_I32LPx)
    typedef uint_t nlink_t;                 /* file link type       */
    typedef int     pid_t;                  /* process id type      */
    #else
    typedef ulong_t nlink_t;                /* (historical version) */
    typedef long    pid_t;                  /* (historical version) */
    #endif

I am confused why you are seeing long for pid_t?  What is your Solaris
system information?  If Solaris needs adjustments, there are a lot of
place we print getpid().