Re: CGI program cannot access database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: CGI program cannot access database
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 11:35:34AM -0500, Samik Raychaudhuri wrote:
> On 10/8/2004 11:05 AM, Michael Fuhr wrote:
> >
> >failed: could not create socket: Operation not permitted
> >
> >I wonder of packet filters are preventing the PostgreSQL connection
> >from working, and possibly causing DNS problems as well.
> >
> What exactly you mean by packet filters? How do I check what packet
> filters are active?

Packet filters are a firewalling mechanism -- they can be configured
to allow or prohibit certain network traffic.  How to check on them
is system-dependent.

I didn't notice that you said the script ran successfully from the
command line; that makes it less likely that a firewall was interfering
because if that were the case, the script would probably fail under
all circumstances.  Since you've reported that you solved the
problem, the packet filter hypothesis can be dismissed.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/