Re: CGI program cannot access database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: CGI program cannot access database
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 08:17:07AM -0700, Steven Klassen wrote:
> * Samik Raychaudhuri <samik@freeshell.org> [2004-10-07 21:12:31 -0500]:
>
> > $dbh=DBI->connect("dbi:Pg:dbname='samik';host='abc.org';port=5432","samik","xxxx");
>
> It seems that machine can't resolve abc.org (although I can). The
> format of your connect string is a little unorthodox, but it seems to
> work in general.
>
> What does 'dig abc.org' return on this machine?

I wonder if "abc.org" was just an example and not the real domain
name.  Samik, what's the real name?  Should it be resolvable from
the public Internet?

The original message reported the following error when connecting
by IP address:

failed: could not create socket: Operation not permitted

I wonder of packet filters are preventing the PostgreSQL connection
from working, and possibly causing DNS problems as well.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/