Re: flattened tables with normalized tables - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: flattened tables with normalized tables
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 10:07:47AM -0700, Dennis Gearon wrote:
> If I want to set up a dbase with normalized tables for inserts,and a
> flattened table for selects, am i going in the right direction for
> speeding up a busy site?

Are you familiar with views?  If so, is there a reason not to use
them?  What kinds of queries are you making?  Are you experiencing
performance problems with queries on the normalized tables?  Have
you investigated whether those queries can be sped up?

> Also, if some of you are also doing this, how and how often do you do
> the SELECT from the normalized tables to the flattened table?
> And, do you have to write a post trigger to get all the references to
> match up in the flattened table?

General Bits had an article on materialized views a while back:

http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/64.php
http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/matviews.html

Before deciding on a solution, be sure you fully understand the
problem you're trying to solve.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/