Re: Performance suggestions for an update-mostly database? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Steve Atkins
Subject Re: Performance suggestions for an update-mostly database?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 10:38:14AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Steve,
>
> > I'm used to performance tuning on a select-heavy database, but this
> > will have a very different impact on the system. Does anyone have any
> > experience with an update heavy system, and have any performance hints
> > or hardware suggestions?
>
> Minimal/no indexes on the table(s).    Raise checkpoint_segments and consider
> using commit_siblings/commit_delay if it's a multi-stream application.
> Figure out ways to do inserts instead of updates where possible, and COPY
> instead of insert, where possible.  Put your WAL on its own disk resource.

Thanks.

> I'm a little curious as to what kind of app would be 95% writes.  A log?

It's the backend to a web application. The applications mix of queries
is pretty normal, but it uses a large, in-core, write-through cache
between the business logic and the database. It has more than usual
locality on queries over short time periods, so the vast majority of
reads should be answered out of the cache and not touch the database.

In some ways something like Berkeley DB might be a better match to the
frontend, but I'm comfortable with PostgreSQL and prefer to have the
power of SQL commandline for when I need it.

Cheers,
  Steve