Re: storing files: blob, toasted text of filesystem? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kristian Rink
Subject Re: storing files: blob, toasted text of filesystem?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi there, Joolz;

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 10:48:25 +0200 (CEST)
"Joolz" <joolz@arbodienst-limburg.nl> wrote:

> Google was contradictory, some people even had performance
> problems when using the filesystem/pointer approach and went to
> BLOBs for that reason. Can anyone tell me (or point me in the
> right direction) what is the best way to do this, BLOBs /
> filesystem+pointer / toasted text?

Though not running postgresql for that solution: We are running an
enterprise-scaled document management system to keep track of
currently > 2*10^3 documents (mostly *.hpgl and *.plt files, some
*.pdfs and *.zips in between), and the (proprietary) dms software we
are using for that purpose exclusively relies on the
filesystem+pointer approach instead of storing all the files inside
the tablespace of the database.

Even while the current system is in migration due to some severe
limits of the current setup (Windows NT 4 servers running an
old MSSQL...:/ ), by now this concept seems to work well there even
with both a database and a filesystem which don't really go for top
performance.

Hope this helps, have a nice weekend.
Kris

--
Kristian Rink     -- Programmierung/Systembetreuung
planConnect GmbH * Strehlener Str. 12 - 14 * 01069 Dresden