Re: Caching of Queries - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Caching of Queries
Date
List pgsql-performance
Aaron,

> I'm not sure I understand your req fully.

I'm not surprised.    I got wrapped up in an overly involved example and
completely left off the points I was illustrating.   So here's the points, in
brief:

1) Query caching is not  a single problem, but rather several different
problems requiring several different solutions.

2) Of these several different solutions, any particular query result caching
implementation (but particularly MySQL's) is rather limited in its
applicability, partly due to the tradeoffs required.    Per your explanation,
Oracle has improved this by offering a number of configurable options.

3) Certain other caching problems would be solved in part by the ability to
construct "in-memory" tables which would be non-durable and protected from
cache-flushing.  This is what I'm interested in chatting about.

BTW, I AM using a summary table.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus