Re: Aggregates ?? Datamart (to whatever it has implemented a DataMart using Postgres) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Aggregates ?? Datamart (to whatever it has implemented a DataMart using Postgres)
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 07:04:50PM -0400, Esteban Kemp wrote:

Esteban,

>   I'm building a Large DataMart with a big table and I want to improve
>   the performace using aggregates I mean a set of table that store
>   some specific aggregacion of the main table, like materialized
>   views, I know that this feature is not implemented yet in postgres,
>   And I see a interesting article to implementing this using a set of
>   triggers, but I thing the big problem is not the rate of the updates
>   or the real time consistence between both table, the main and the
>   agregates. I thing the really problem is how to let it know to the
>   RDMS engine that this aggregates exist!, I mean when I run a query I
>   want to the Database engine run the query against the correct table.

I think you may be interested in reading "Materialized Views in
PostgreSQL" by Jonathan Gardner.

http://jonathangardner.net/PostgreSQL/materialized_views/matviews.html

You may also want to subscribe to the pgsql-es-ayuda, at
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-es-ayuda.  We can discuss further
there without the language barrier ...

Este mail se entrega garantizadamente 100% libre de sarcasmo.