Table lock on SET STATISTICS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Table lock on SET STATISTICS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Folks,

Just noticed -- the hard way -- that running ALTER TABLE ... SET STATISTICS
requires a full table lock.    I can't think of any practical reason why SET
STATISTICS would need to lock the table; presumably this is just because it's
an ALTER TABLE statement?    If so, maybe we should consider a method of SET
STATISTICS which does not require a table lock?   The current functionality
makes it very hard to test statistics levels on a production machine.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions