Re: Press Release, Final Draft? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Press Release, Final Draft?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 07:08:52PM -0400, Rod Taylor wrote:

> I cannot answer these because I've not tested all workloads under
> different configurations. For my workload on 2 to 4way machines, Pg on
> 8.0 configured similarly to 7.4 was a touch slower (5% or so).

One difference between 7.4 and 8.0 is that the latter has 4 bytes more
per-tuple overhead (the "field compression" done by Manfred Koizar on
7.3 was lost due to subtransactions).  This change alone can make an
important difference, and will affect everyone, in all situations.

"¿Qué importan los años?  Lo que realmente importa es comprobar que
a fin de cuentas la mejor edad de la vida es estar vivo"  (Mafalda)