Re: psql: FATAL: Password authentication failed for - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Sudhakar Kurumella
Subject Re: psql: FATAL: Password authentication failed for
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Is there any alternative for me ?...Any suggestinons would be highly appreciated.

thanks,
kuru

Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:

The "local" line has no effect on Windows - it only has relevance for
Unix domain socket connections, which Windows does not support.

The line that affects local connections on Windows is "host all all
127.0.0.1/32 ..."

(We really need to make that crystal clear in the pg_hba.conf ...)

cheers

andrew

Sudhakar Kurumella wrote:

> Dear Laszlo,
>
> Indeed that is tough, It is highly appreciated if you could explain a
> bit in detail. I tried with option "password no need" in my server,
> and also tried remove md5 from pg_hba.conf :
> # TYPE DATABASE USER CIDR-ADDRESS METHOD
> local all
> postgres md5
>
> it is not working.
> thanks
> kuru
> */Laszlo Hornyak /* wrote:
>

> You could enable local connections with no password, then connect with
> your postgres user, change pwd, and then re-enable security.
> use pg_ctl reload for reloading security settings.
> Not nice, but quick :)
>

> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Sudhakar Kurumella wrote:
>
> > I am trying to connect to database called "sos", i tried as you
> said:
> >
> > [D:\]psql -U postgres template1
> > psql: FATAL: Password authentication failed for user "postgres"
> > [D:\]psql -U postgres -W template1
> > psql: FATAL: Password authentication failed for user "postgres"
> > [D:\]
> >
> > I got the above error again.
> >
> > thanks,
> > kuru
> >
> > Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> >
> > Which database are you trying to connect to?
> >
> > try:
> > psql -U postgres template1
> > or
> > psql -U postgres -W template1
> > and see what happens
> >
> > cheers
> >
> > andrew
> >
> > Sudhakar Kurumella wrote:
> >
> > > I tried that, the error is the same but with user "postgres"
> > >
> > > [D:\Postgresql\8.0-beta2-dev3\bin]psql -U postgres
> > > psql: FATAL: Password authentication failed for user "postgres"
> > >
> > > It is not taking my password if i give option with "-W" as well.
> > >
> > > [D:\Postgresql\8.0-beta2-dev3\bin]psql -U postgres -W password
> > > psql: FATAL: Password authentication failed for user "postgres"
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > > kuru
> > >

> > > */Dave Cramer
> > /* wrote:
> > >
> > > Use psql -U postgres
> > >
> > > Dave

> > > provided
> following

> "Administrator"

> "postgres"

& gt; > > > host all all 127.0.0.1/32 md5