Re: abnormal data grow - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: abnormal data grow
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 09:51:15AM -0500, Reynard Hilman wrote:

> I'm just wondering is there a way to know what that 25677563 file is?
> Why does postgres create a copy of that file with .1, .2, .3, etc.

Those are not copies.  Postgres splits each relation (table/index) in 1GB
files.  So the relation actually uses 10 GB; you need some cleanup.

> Is that file still in used (because I can't find it in the pg_class
> table)?

Yes.  Don't delete it manually.

> Will postgres clean the database up or should I do a manual clean?

You probably need a VACUUM; or, if it's an index, a REINDEX.

"Granting software the freedom to evolve guarantees only different results,
not better ones." (Zygo Blaxell)