Re: psql: rollback only last query on error - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: psql: rollback only last query on error
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 02:30:17PM +0200, Michael Paesold wrote:
> I am sorry for kind of reposting this, but I have not got any response to my
> patch sent for comment to hackers (Subject: Rollback on error):
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-09/msg00576.php
>
> I just want to find out, if I should try to solve the issues with this patch
> (and add regression tests, docs, etc.) now or leave it till after release of
> version 8.0.

One potential problem I see with the patch is that it opens lots of
savepoints but does not release any.  In this mode, given autocommit off
(and even without that), there's potential for lots and lots of
savepoints.  Not sure how to fix that given that you shouldn't release
user-specified savepoints ...

Also, you need to do something with \i.  I think the global variable
will be a less intrusive approach, at least while we are in beta.  When
8.1 development starts, you can submit a patch to clean up.

"Cada quien es cada cual y baja las escaleras como quiere" (JMSerrat)