Re: transaction idle timeout in 7.4.5 and 8.0.0beta2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: transaction idle timeout in 7.4.5 and 8.0.0beta2
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Interesting.  So it times out a transaction to release its locks.  Does
it time from the start of the transaction?  I assume so.  We do have
statment_timeout so maybe transaction_timeout would be the proper name.
Timing out on just the idle state seems strange to me.

Szima G�bor wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was implement the "transaction idle timeout" function in PostgreSQL
> (version 7.4.5 and 8.0.0beta2)
>
> test=# SET trans_idle_timeout=10;
> SET
> test=# BEGIN;
> BEGIN
>
> (ps)
> postgres: sygma test [local] idle in transaction (3)
> postgres: sygma test [local] idle in transaction (2)
> postgres: sygma test [local] idle in transaction (1)
> postgres: sygma test [local] idle in transaction (aborted)
>
> test=# INSERT INTO test (a,b) VALUES (1,'a');
> ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of transaction block
>

> The code is very simple and stable.
>
> Changed files:
>
> include/storage/proc.h
> backend/libpq/pqcomm.c
> backend/libpq/be-secure.c
> backend/utils/misc/guc.c
>
> TODO: SSL connection, manual, psql help & tab-competition
>
> Do you interest it?
>

> Regards, Sygma

Pennsylvania19073