Re: psql + autocommit - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lars Haugseth
Subject Re: psql + autocommit
Date
List pgsql-general
* Michael Paesold:
| Peter Eisentraut wrote:
| > Lars Haugseth wrote:
| > > Version 8.0.0beta2 supports a global configuration file. It's should
| > > be located in '~postgres/etc/pgsql'.
| >
| > That would be pretty useless, since normal users often don't have read
| > access to another user's home directory.
|
| Further up in this thread I read $PGDATA/etc/psqlrc, which seems like
| nonsense, too. First, $PGDATA is not known at compile time, second no user
| should have access to that directory.
|
| Perhaps it should be (and really is) $PREFIX/etc/psqlrc?
| (where $PREFIX is of course the installation prefix set during configure)
|
| I am not at work, so I can have a look at the code or test it myself right
| now.

There's a file $PREFIX/share/psqlrc.sample that reads:

--
--      psql configuration file
--

So $PREFIX/etc/psqlrc is the right place. (In my setup, ~postgres equals
$PREFIX).

This directory is not created by "gmake install", though. Perhaps it should
be?

--
Lars Haugseth
Tinde ASA