Re: 'TID index' - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: 'TID index'
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 10:56:28PM +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> There are many good ideas out there, yet it is almost impossible to find
> somebody else to implement yours!
>
> The acid test is to try and write it...
>
> Overall, I agree VACUUM could do with some tuning - and 8.0 has just that.
> It needs very careful thought to make sure both concurrency and
> recoverability considerations are fully met in any solution you come up
> with.
Heh, I wasn't even thinking of implentation yet. :) I fully understand
the lack of developers.

Unfortunately, I have very little idea on the internals of PGSQL, and
I'm decidedly not a C coder. I *might* be able to get something hacked
up that stores info in a table (since that would mean all the space
management stuff would be handled for me).

If this is a worthwhile idea can we at least get a TODO? Would it be
useful to come up with a high-level design (something I could probably
do)?