Re: Preserving column order when recreating table. - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Stef
Subject Re: Preserving column order when recreating table.
Date
List pgsql-sql
Andrew mentioned :
=> Ugh.  Sorry to say so, but this sounds to me really a lot like the
=> cure is worse than the disease.  The answer to "Bob did something
=> incredibly stupid" is not "We'll bend ourselves into contortions to
=> support it."  (This is not to say I don't sympathise.  You wouldn't
=> believe how much I do.)

Funny you say. It looks like "Bob" had a hand in pg_dump -d , 'cause I've
many times wished there were column names specified there, too :)
(I'm talking Prior 7.4 here, dunno if it's changed already)

=> and then rename the old table, rename the new table to the old table
=> name, and drop the old table if you like.

The only problem I've run into now, is duplicate index names. I think this
is why I didn't use this solution originally. But I figured out a way to
modify pieces of the "create table" statement to drop all  the indexes
and constraints first.

Is there an easier  way  around this?

Stef