Re: some PITR performance data with DBT-2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mark Wong
Subject Re: some PITR performance data with DBT-2
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 09:50:17PM +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> >Mark Wong wrote
> > Hi Simon,
> >
> > Sorry it has taken so long.  Among other things, I doubled the controllers
> > and drives on the system I was testing this on.  But now I have some data
> > against PostgreSQL-8.0beta2.
> >

> Thanks very much.
>
> > Here is the test run with archiving enabled:
> >     http://www.osdl.org/projects/dbt2dev/results/dev4-010/158/
> >
> > Here is the test run with archiving disabled:
> >     http://www.osdl.org/projects/dbt2dev/results/dev4-010/159/
> >

> > The overall throughput difference between the two runs with archiving
> > enabled/disabled was within 1%.
> >

> Excellent. I hoped it was that low - my target was < 5%.
>
> Stats check out with no wierdness in the results. TGFT.
>
> Also, I notice the tpm figures have gone up some more - have you got new
> hardware, or has the PostgreSQL setup been tuned more? Or can it be that
> rel8.0 really is that much faster??

It's actually lower than where I was when I started breaking tables out
onto separate volumes.  I suspect you may be looking at data from a
different (and slower) system.  Slightly old data from the same system are
here:http://www.osdl.org/projects/dbt2dev/results/fs-64bit.html

> > Here is sar/iostat/vmstat and oprofile data during the first hour of
> > recovery.  Total recovery time took about 6.5 hours:
> >     http://www.developer.osdl.org/markw/pitr/
> >

> That's bad news. My own recovery performance estimates would lead me to hope
> that its possible to get the recovery to be quicker than the processes that
> wrote the logs, even on a very quick 4 CPU system. I'd be hoping for ~1
> hour, or at least <= 4 hours.
>
> > I ran the test over a duration of 3 hours (including a 2 hour rampup of
> > the driver), as opposed to the 6 hours you originally requested.  I
> > hope that is ok.
> >
> > System details, which you may be interested in:
> >
> > 4 x 1.5 GHz Itanium 2
> > 16GB RAM
> > 6 x Compaq Computer Corporation Smart Array 64xx
> > 6 x 14 disk 15K RPM drives (split bus)
> >
> > The database and archive directory were put onto a single LVM volume
> > across all 84 drives.
> >
> > Let me know if I left anything out.
> >

> First off, thank you again.
>
> I've had a look at all the results, but I found a few things:
>
> - couldnt find postgresql.conf or recovery.conf anywhere, so not sure what
> OS command you are using

For postgresql.conf parameters, I added "database parameters" link to a
"SHOW ALL" command a little late, but it's there now and shows:archive_command | cp %p /opt/misc/archive/%f

I've already lost the recovery.done file but I used the command:restore_command = 'cp /opt/misc/archive/%f %p'

> - log files were very large indeed due to the SPI error messages, so I
> haven't been able to download those properly for analysis - any chance you
> could grep out the SPI stuff, so I can see the archive and restore commands?

Ok, there should be a log-sans-spi.txt.gz available now.

> Stats I'd be interested in for analysing recovery performance would be:
> - how many log files in total were archived/restored

I did a line count of "archived transaction log file" and got 7604.
Unforunitely I don't have the output for the restore anymore.

> - where were they archived to

Into a separate directory on the same volume with the rest of the database.
I'm starting to break things out into separate volumes again.

Mark