Re: Sixth Draft (BSD language) - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Sixth Draft (BSD language)
Date
Re: Sixth Draft (BSD language)
List pgsql-advocacy
Ned Lilly wrote:
> The original language I suggested was:
>
> PostgreSQL is released under a "BSD-style" license, which allows
> maximum flexibility for corporate and individual users, with no
> license fees regardless of how the software is used.

My response still holds:

>>>This is an incorrect interpretation of the licensing situation.
>>>There are plenty of licenses that are granted free of charge but
>>>still leave the recipient without any flexibility.  The advantage
>>> of the BSD license is the lack of restrictions on modication and
>>> distribution.

> I think that offers a good contrast to both MySQL and the commercial
> competitors.

You can *use* MySQL however you want, if you have obtained a legal copy.
You just can't modify or distribute it however you want.  That is an
important distinction.  Copyright law does not regulate use at all; it
regulates copying.  Once you have obtained a legal copy, you can use
the software in any way you choose, even if some licenses try to give a
different impression.

--
Peter Eisentraut