Re: casting BOOL to somthng - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From sad
Subject Re: casting BOOL to somthng
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Tuesday 31 August 2004 17:49, Michael Glaesemann wrote:
> On Aug 31, 2004, at 8:24 PM, sad wrote:
> > and i am still desire to know _WHY_ there are no predefined cast for
> > BOOL ?
> > and at the same time there are predefined casts for INT and FLOAT......
>
> I think the main reason is what is the proper textual representation of
> BOOLEAN? True, PostgreSQL returns 't' as a representation for the
> BOOLEAN value TRUE, but some people might want it to return 'TRUE' or
> 'true' or other representations. Picking one is perhaps arbitrary.

There are many (infinite number) of INT representations,
"Picking one is perhaps arbitrary." But you poke one and using it.

If some one wants another representation you ask him do define his own
function and use it instead of cast. And you are right. In your system
integers textully represented as you define. Just define one representation
for boolean and leave the rest for user definition.