Re: pgsql 8.0.0b1 - openssl detection - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Stefanos Harhalakis
Subject Re: pgsql 8.0.0b1 - openssl detection
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Wednesday 18 August 2004 20:14, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Stefanos Harhalakis wrote:
> >   It seems that you've removed the possibility to add an argument to
> > --with-openssl option of the configure script. Currently I'm
> > maintaining two systems where the openssl is not somewhere in the
> > standard paths and thus the only way to compile with SSL seems to be
> > by setting appropriate CFLAGS, CXXGLAGS and LDFLAGS before running
> > the configure script.
>
> Yes, that's the standard way to go about it.  No need to duplicate that
> functionality.

Well, in fact, setting:

export CFLAGS=3D"-O2 -g -I/usr/local/ssl/include"
export CXXFLAGS=3D"$CFLAGS"
export LDFLAGS=3D"-L/usr/local/ssl/lib"

didn't work at all. It worked only when I did:

export CC=3D"gcc -I/usr/local/ssl/include -L/usr/local/ssl/lib"
export CXX=3D"g++ -I/usr/local/ssl/include -L/usr/local/ssl/lib"=20
(not sure if CXX is required)

or

export CFLAGS=3D"-O2 -g -I/usr/local/ssl/include"
export CXXFLAGS=3D"$CFLAGS"
export LDFLAGS=3D"-L/usr/local/ssl/lib"
export CPP=3D"gcc -E -I/usr/local/ssl/include"

This happens because AC_CHECK_HEADERSis implemented using the preprocessor=
=20
(cpp/gcc -E) without adding CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS:

configure:
----------
checking for SSL_library_init in -lssl... yes
[...]
checking openssl/ssl.h usability... yes
checking openssl/ssl.h presence... no
configure: WARNING: openssl/ssl.h: accepted by the compiler, rejected by th=
e=20
preprocessor!
configure: WARNING: openssl/ssl.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
checking for openssl/ssl.h... no

config.log:
-----------
configure:8492: checking openssl/ssl.h presence
configure:8499: gcc -E -D_GNU_SOURCE  conftest.c
configure:8495:25: openssl/ssl.h: No such file or directory
configure:8505: $? =3D 1
configure: failed program was:
#line 8494 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
#include <openssl/ssl.h>
configure:8523: result: no
configure:8529: WARNING: openssl/ssl.h: accepted by the compiler, rejected =
by=20
the preprocessor!
configure:8531: WARNING: openssl/ssl.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's=
=20
result
configure:8541: checking for openssl/ssl.h
configure:8548: result: no
configure:8555: error: header file <openssl/ssl.h> is required for OpenSSL

If you are not going to change this back to the old behaviour you should=20
consider using AC_ARG_ENABLE instead of AC_ARG_WITH since the second is=20
intended to be used when there is an optional (or not) argument to be passe=
d=20
(--with-package=3Darg) while the first is intended to be used to enable or=
=20
disable a feature (--enable-feature).=20

I believe that it makes sense to say 'enable ssl support', since you're not=
=20
allowing the user to specify the openssl location. (just a suggestion)

<<V13>>