Re: 8.0 Press Release: the PRODUCTIVE thread. - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: 8.0 Press Release: the PRODUCTIVE thread.
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Marc,
>
>> I think this one could also include references to the company (or
>> companies) that helped make the new features happen ... I note you do
>> mention the various companies in P2 above, but figured you were seperating
>> the P2 stuff from List stuff?
>
> Not necessarily, either approach would be fine.   In fact, I'd love so see
> alternate ideas for what to put in P2.   What P2 needs to say is "why this
> new release is exiting" non-specific to the features involved (since some
> members of the press won't understand the features anyway).   Possible ideas
> include:
>
> 1) growing size of our community (inc. new companies)

Not sure if you can substantiate this so that it isn't 'just marketspeak',
can you?  What might be a better 'focus' is the companies coming out of
the closet, that have been using it for while, but are starting to be
willing/able to acknowledge it more openly ...

> 2) just a handful of high-end features left and then equal to DB2,
> Oracle, etc. (this is probably too similar to last time).

is DB2 == Oracle?  I do agree with focusing on the higher # of
enterprise level features, but to equate us with any db (commercial or
otherwise) could be dangerous, no?

> 3) increased pace of development, faster than any comparable
> product/project.

Similar to 1, but probably a bit easier, since I can't think of any DB
project that isn't talking 1+ year release cycles right now ...

----