Re: Password authentication - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bill Moran
Subject Re: Password authentication
Date
List pgsql-general
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 13:11:00 +0530

Please fix the date on your computer so your mails don't look a year old.

"Antony Paul" <antonypaul24@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>     How to set up authentication such that user can log into database by
> supplying the user name and password specified when the user is added to
> databse.(Like Oracle). Password should be encrypted on transmission.
>     I have an application which connects through JDBC. The database name is
> test username is testuser and a password was specified at the time of
> creating the user. I want to use this user and password for logging in to
> application through JDBC and psql. Users connect to psql from their
> machine(Some use Linux and some use Windows) or log into server using ssh
> and connects locally. All these users must supply password for connecting to
> test database. Everyone in internet is allowed to connect(must know
> password).
>      Please specify the line which will enable me to do this.

There is no single line that will accomplish this, however, if I understand
you correctly, you should set up for secure connections in your
postgresql.conf, and add the users you require.

These sections of the documentation should be helpful:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/user-manag.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/runtime-config.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-CONNECTION

--
Bill Moran