8.0 Press Release: the PRODUCTIVE thread. - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject 8.0 Press Release: the PRODUCTIVE thread.
Date
Re: 8.0 Press Release: the PRODUCTIVE thread.  (Chris Travers <chris@metatrontech.com>)
Re: 8.0 Press Release: the PRODUCTIVE thread.  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
Folks,

(Reposting this because the Advocacy list seems to have eaten all of my e-mail
from this morning)

I'd like to start a new thread for those who are actually interested in
helping get a press release done instead of arguing about minutia.

I'm copying what I posted earlier since many people will have stopped reading
the original thread.

Maybe we could discuss
more pertinent stuff, like the general theme of the release?

Every press release, if you want it to be read and quoted, needs to tell a
story.   Last release, it was that PostgreSQL was now equivalent to the Big
Boys and it was time for migration.   I think we did a good job getting that
message across.

This release, I think our theme should be corporate involvement.  Aside from
the specific features (which speak for themselves) what's news over the last
year is the amount of interest and sponsorship we've received from various
commercial entities, including feature sponsors SRA, FJ and Afilias and code
contributor Command Prompt, as well as our existing sponsors like RH and
PGInc and probably others I'm forgetting.

The reason to use this theme -- aside from attracting reporters -- is that
"partnerships" is currently widely perceived to be a weakness of our project.
MySQL, in contrast, has done a job of broadcasting whenever they so much as
have lunch with an exec from a major corporation -- as do many other
commercialized OSS projects and start-ups.   This has resulted in an
impression (based on my conversations at LWE and elsewhere) that PostgreSQL
does not have "business momentum".   I think we can turn that around.

I find this idea more appealing that our other thematic options for the
release:
1) PostgreSQL on Windows: while a major step forward, I think this will sell
itself;
2) Faster Development than anyone else:  also true, but harder to convince
reporters.

> I think Slony deserves its own Press Release ... its big enough of an
> add-on that including it as part of the 8.0.0 release will shift focus
> from what 8.0.0 has accomplished ...

Not an option.  Afilias, the sponsor, does not want to do a Slony release yet,
and it's their call.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions