Re: SOLARIS 9 ULTRASPARC BUILD - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: SOLARIS 9 ULTRASPARC BUILD
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 12:17:47PM +0200, andrea.martano@lighthousetc.net wrote:

> attached are the regression.out and regression.diffs files from make check on a
> Ultra 2 dual 300MHz CPU running Solaris 9 OS.
>
> Looks like no errorbut the expected due to difference in fp results.

[snip]

> SELECT 'infinity'::float4;
> ! ERROR:  invalid input syntax for type real: "infinity"

Perhaps PostgreSQL doesn't handle a longstanding misbehavior of
strtod() on Solaris: when passed "Infinity" or its equivalent,
strtod() sets endptr to point one character beyond the terminating
null character instead of to the null character itself.  I asked
about this today in comp.unix.solaris and was told that it's a bug
that will be fixed in Solaris 10.  Here's a similar report from
over nine years ago:

http://groups.google.com/groups?&threadm=3oeojn%24jhk%40agate.berkeley.edu

The thread I started hasn't showed up at groups.google.com yet, but
I think this link will eventually point to it:

http://groups.google.com/groups?&threadm=4118e611%241_3%40omega.dimensional.com

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/